At Our Lady of Lourdes, we intend for our children to be ready for year 1 academically and socially by developing a love of learning and a curiosity that enables that. We recognise that the Reception year is the beginning of a child’s school journey and therefore we ensure that the children are at the center of all that we do.
Therefore, it is essential that strong foundations: academically, socially, physically and emotionally are instilled and curiosity and the love of learning is fostered. We intend for our children to develop curiosity as an underlying skill for successful learning and the development of the unique child.
All adults enable children’s curiosity by establishing positive relationships, developing an supportive environment, by responding to their individual interests and needs and helping them build their learning over time.
They will therefore:
• Develop independence, self-agency and creativity (imagination)
• Feel safe, secure and loved
• Build resilience
• Have self-belief, determination and confidence that anything is possible
• Engage in a variety of play and learning experiences with intrinsic motivation
• Begin to understand the part they play in the modern world and their responsibility
• Understand the value of reading
• Have an access to a broad, rich and balanced EYFS curriculum with both child-lead and adult-lead learning opportunities