At Our Lady of Lourdes, as a Catholic school, we attach the greatest importance to Religious Education in the life of our school. We aim to deliver a broad and engaging Religious Education, enriched in the Catholic ethos of the school community. This not only applies to specific R.E. lessons but in the everyday interaction of school life, assemblies, meal times, play times and all the relationships that exist within the school. We try to help children to find a personal faith in God and to enjoy a sense of awe and wonder at His creation.
Religious Education at OLOL aims to promote:
· The content of the Curriculum Directory for Religious Education
· Knowledge and understanding of The Catholic Church
· The foundation for a life of faith
· Knowledge and understanding of the response of The Catholic Church to the ultimate questions about human life, its origin and purpose
· The skills required to engage in examination of and reflection on religious belief and practice
· A degree of understanding and awareness of other major world religions
· OLOL's School Mission Statement
To support our teaching, we use Diocesan approved materials, based on the scheme ‘God Matters’. Each year, children cover topics linked to the liturgical year: Creation, Prayer, Saints and Feasts, Advent, Christmas, Revelation, Lent, Easter, Pentecost and Sacraments. In addition to this, we teach other world faiths as separate units, knowing we can learn from different beliefs and cultures, and do so with respect and enthusiasm.
Religious Education is further enhanced through the liturgical life of the church by attendance and active participation in the Mass and the sacraments through the observance of religious services and festivals.